Friday, July 6, 2012

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad


The original recipe can be found at http://nutmegnotebook.com/2011/06/chipotle-chicken-taco-salad-2/, I made a few changes in my rendition ... 1) I didn't have a chipotle chilie - so I used jalapeno, 2) I had a 15 oz can of corn so I used that instead, 3) I used leftover chicken, 4) the dressing was really bland I doubled the spice amounts & it still didn't help, so we added some salsa to the top of the salad, it was excellent.

MY recipe is as follows ...

Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2/3 cup light sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
Salad:
  • 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
  • 2 cups chopped chicken
  • 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
  • 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can whole-kernel corn, rinsed and drained
  • salsa, to taste

To prepare dressing, combine first 7 ingredients, stirring well.
To prepare salad, combine lettuce and dressing. Then add in the other ingredients (this keeps the avocado from becoming mushy from too much mixing) and stir gently.  Serve with salsa on top.
I imagine this would be good with any type of meat, shrimp, fish - or completely vegetarian.  I bet mixing the salsa into the dressing to begin with would be a good solution to the flavor also, might try that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment