Friday, July 27, 2012

Beer Butt Chicken

Ok, so I have made beer butt chicken's before and they are just not my favorite.  They are tender & juicy - but I always dip in BBQ sauce because there is not enough flavor for me.  This version was great.  It was cooked in the oven instead of on the grill, I used a rub instead of leaving it plain, and I used Bud Light Lime - which I am going to say is my secret weapon! 


Chicken
1 4-5 pound whole chicken
1 can Bud Light Lime (or whatever you prefer)
Spice Rub

Rub
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp italian seasoning
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp Lawrys salt
2 tsp garlic powder

Wash your chicken & pat dry.

Open the can of beer & drink (or pour out) about an inch worth, just so that it is not super full.

Take an 8x8 or 9x9 brownie pan & set the beer can in the center.  Slide your chicken on the beer can so that it is standing up.  It should fit fairly snugly and should stand upright.

Rub your chicken with the seasoning.  Be sure to coat it everywhere.

Cook on 350 for about 2 hours, depending on the size of your chicken.

Getting the hot can out might be a struggle, I just lay the chicken on its side, let the remainder of the beer flow out as I grab the can with a towel.  Then stand the chicken upright & let the beer flow out.

The rub was amazing!  The brown sugar gave this lovely caramelized crunchy skin and the seasonings added a ton of flavor.


No comments:

Post a Comment