Friday, July 13, 2012

Casey's "Southern" BBQ Sauce

Ok, so every time we go to TN we stop at the little roadside stand and stock up on BBQ for the weekend.  If we have dinner at someone's house we have BBQ ... what is the difference?  The Sauce!  It is not the thick BBQ sauce that we are all use to, it is a thin vinegar based sauce.  I make a good thick sauce for grilling, but I have always been afraid of trying to make a thin sauce, maybe because I am definitely a northern girl and I don't want to step on the toes of the southerners who have been doing this for years?


Well I was craving some TN BBQ, and as the pork was cooking away in the crock-pot (definitely not how the southerners cook it) I decided to go for it.  In my google search of vinegar based sauces, there were hundreds.  Based off of the flavors I remembered, the items I had on hand, and my personal taste I created this sauce.  It was AWESOME, if you like a vinegar-based sauce of course.


1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 T brown sugar
1 T garlic salt
1 T red pepper flake
2 T hot sauce

Whisk the ingredients in a bowl, serve with pulled pork (chicken I am sure would be good too).

Don't mix into the meat ahead of time, this is a sauce that everyone needs to put on their own plate, plus it makes the buns soggy if they are sitting and waiting..

We like hot BBQ sauce, you could easily reduce the red pepper flakes (most recipes called for 1 tsp) and reduce or remove the hot sauce (non called for this).

No comments:

Post a Comment