This recipe was a nice change of pace, but nothing spectacular. I cut this recipe in half for the two of us, I would say it makes three good size servings that way. I added more seasoning after it was cooked, but I didn't measure those. When I got home from work ALL of the water was gone. I was worried it would be dried out and burned. It wasn't but I added another 3/4-1 cup of water, mixed it well and left the crock-pot on warm for another 2 hours. I used diced ham, so I am not sure how a ham bone would have changed the water level and flavor profile. The corn bread I served with it was the best part, but I am a sucker for some corn bread!
1 lb package dried northern beans
ham bone, hocks, shanks or diced ham (about 1 pound)
2 tsp onion powder
2 tsp garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 tsp italian seasoning
6 cups water
salt & pepper to taste
Rinse and sort the beans for any pebbles. Add the the rinsed beans,
onion powder, salt, pepper, and ham to the crock pot. Add water. Cover
and cook on low about 8 hours, until beans are tender. Remove ham bone,
shanks or hocks and pull off the meat. Remove bay leaf and discard. Add meat to the crock pot and
mix. Serve with cornbread.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment