Sunday, September 30, 2012

Muffin Cups



I left out the eggs, because I was out of them, but they appeared to come out as they should.  I used the honey option instead of stevia, and my applesauce was sweetened.  I cut the recipe in half and once I mixed in my fixings it still made 11 cupcake cups, but I sprayed my muffin tin instead of using cupcake cups because I didn't have any!  As you can tell, I did not plan ahead with this one.  

We ate them as dessert, right out of the oven, the night I made them ... because Mike wanted dessert and I told him that is what they were ... shhhh.  The Smore flavored one passed as dessert, but when he went back for seconds and accidentally grabbed a brown sugar cinnamon and said "this just tastes like oatmeal"  OOPS! :)  The apple pie tasted good but did not stay in 'muffin' form very well.  They ended up in tupperware containers and were eaten with a fork.
Ingredients
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
  • 1 banana, mashed
  • 6 packets of Stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder or use 1/2 cup honey
  • 5 cups, Old Fashioned rolled oats 
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 3/4 cups milk 
  • Toppings of choice
I used four different sets of toppings to make my flavors:

Smore: I mixed mini marshmallows and chocolate chips with the batter.
Apple Pie: I cut up small chunks of apple and mixed with the batter, added a bit of extra cinnamon & sprinkled the smallest amount of brown sugar on top.
Fruit and Nut: I chopped up dried fruit (I had a mixture of banana, pineapple, mango and apricot in my mixture) and mixed nuts (I had the Planters heart healthy macadamia, almonds and cashew mix) and mixed them into the batter.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon: I mixed in some extra cinnamon and some brown sugar.
Directions
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix eggs, vanilla, applesauce, banana and Stevia together in a bowl.
  3. Add in oats, flax, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well with wet ingredients.
  4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
  5. Spray a 12 and 6 capacity muffin tin with cooking spray or use cupcake liners.
    Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups.
  6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now. If using fresh or frozen fruit, drop it right into the batter.
  7. Bake 30 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in gallon freezer bags.

No comments:

Post a Comment