Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Eggs in a basket"




Ingredients
- 1 baked potato
- 1 egg
- cheese & omelete toppings of choice

Directions
- Bake your potato, or use a leftover potato
- Slice the top off of your potato (about 1/4 of the length)
- Remove the interior of the potato, leaving a hearty layer of potato flesh (save the insides for another recipe)
- Season the interior lining of the potato and brush a little butter
- Add cheese & toppings until about 3/4 of the way full (I used some leftover sausage in one, leftover fajitas in another, anything you like will work).
- Carefully crack an egg and pour over the top of your filled potato. Be careful not to break the yolk.
- Season the egg, add a little more cheese if you would like.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

The recipe I used as my base said 15-20 minutes and stressed the point of not over-cooking because you want the yolk runny.  After 20 minutes my egg whites were still translucent, clearly you cannot eat that.  At about 40 minutes the egg whites finally cooked, but the yolk was also fairly cooked through and not as runny as I would have liked.  I am not sure what the trick is to getting the whites to cook and the yolk to stay runny, maybe it is my oven ... guess more practice is in order!

No comments:

Post a Comment