Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Zucchini & Squash Salad

I don't normally eat raw zucchini/squash, but it was sick of sautéed/grilled/baked....this was awesome, I highly recommend it.  I happened to have some homemade pesto in the fridge so I used that instead of the herbs/garlic since it was already blended & quicker.  I also did not use that much olive oil, just enough to cover all the solids I had in the container.  I didn't have tomatoes (recommended serving on top sliced tomato), although I'm sure it would have been awesome.

Squash and Zucchini Salad
Print
Recipe type: Salad
Author: Kelly Yandell
Prep time: 30 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 6
Ingredients
  • 5 cups of cubed zucchini and squash (5 to 6 mixed zucchini and squash)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • ⅔ cup olive oil
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, chopped
  • 3 green onions, sliced thinly
  • Tomatoes (to slice for serving)
  • Crumbled feta cheese, to taste
Instructions
  1. Place the cubed squash and zucchini in a bowl lined with paper towels and sprinkle them with salt. Toss the cubes so that the salt is distributed and then let the squash and zucchini rest for at least 20 minutes.
  2. In a jar with a lid, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, herbs, garlic and onions. Shake vigorously until the dressing ingredients are well combined. You may not need all of the dressing for this salad, but be sure to spoon out and use all of the onions which will fall to the bottom of the jar.
  3. Remove the paper towels from the bowl and discard them. Press the cubes gently with another towel to get more of the exuded moisture and move the cubes to a dry bowl. Pour the dressing over the cubes and toss to combine, mix in feta. Serve a mound of the salad on a thick slice of tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment